A board of directors is actively engaged in overseeing Carey Services’ operations. As part of its responsibility, the board assures the following obligations are executed:
- Duty of Care – Board members exercise due care in all dealings with the organization and its interest.
- Duty of Loyalty – Personal and professional conflicts of interest, including the appearances of conflicts of interest, are avoided.
- Duty of Obedience – Obedience to the organization’s central purpose guides all decisions.
Indiana law also specifically prescribes responsibilities of a nonprofit board of directors:
- The board of an Indiana nonprofit corporation typically has ultimate responsibility for all the activities of the organization (IC 23-17-12-1(b).
- Board members must act in good faith, with the care an ordinary prudent person in a like position would exercise and in a manner which the member reasonably believes to be in the best interest of the corporation (IC 23-17-13-1(a).
Listed below is Carey Services’ board executive committee. You can download a PDF of the complete board list by clicking the button below.Carey Services Board Members
Stephen A. Smithley is chairperson for the board of directors for Carey Services. Steve is an associate at Needham-Storey-Wampner Funeral Service. Steve was born and raised in Marion, Ind., and graduated from Marion High School in 1973. He attended Taylor University and graduated with a degree in political science/ pre-law in 1977. Steve is retired from banking and real estate and is president of the Marion Redevelopment Commission. Steve has served on numerous boards of community organizations throughout his career. Steve is a great community servant, sports enthusiast, and is also the public address announcer for the Marion Giant varsity football and basketball teams.
Board Vice Chairperson
Michele Smith is vice chairperson for the board of directors for Carey Services. Michelle is director of elementary education at Marion Community Schools. Smith earned her bachelor’s degree in elementary education from the University of Virginia, her master’s degree in early childhood from Ball State University, and is completing her doctoral degree in curriculum and instruction through Oakland City University.
Doug Bryant is treasurer for the board of directors for Carey Services. A native of Grant County, Doug is a partner at Rea Logan and Company, LLC, a local certified public accounting firm. He graduated from Ball State University with a Bachelor’s Degree in accounting. Doug works with numerous non-profit agencies throughout the community.
Jim Wallace is secretary for the board of directors for Carey Services. Jim is a vice president in commercial banking with STAR Bank. He graduated from Indiana University with a Bachelor’s Degree in business administration. He is chairman for the Capt. Brandon A. Barrett Hero Fund at the Community Foundation of Grant County and also is involved with Touchdown for Kids, an organization that helps the Peyton Manning Children’s Hospital at St. Vincent’s in Indianapolis.
Immediate Past Board Chairperson
Eric B. Walts is immediate past chairperson for the board of directors for Carey Services. Eric is CEO and owner of Premier Home Health Care and Suite Living Senior Living Community. He is a graduate of Wabash College and has his MBA from Indiana University Kelley School of Business. Eric had served on numerous community boards and is a member of Westminster Presbyterian Church.