A board of directors is actively engaged in overseeing Carey Services’ operations. As part of its responsibility, the board assures the following obligations are executed:
- Duty of Care – Board members exercise due care in all dealings with the organization and its interest.
- Duty of Loyalty – Personal and professional conflicts of interest, including the appearances of conflicts of interest, are avoided.
- Duty of Obedience – Obedience to the organization’s central purpose guides all decisions.
Indiana law also specifically prescribes responsibilities of a nonprofit board of directors:
- The board of an Indiana nonprofit corporation typically has ultimate responsibility for all the activities of the organization (IC 23-17-12-1(b).
- Board members must act in good faith, with the care an ordinary prudent person in a like position would exercise and in a manner which the member reasonably believes to be in the best interest of the corporation (IC 23-17-13-1(a).
Listed below is Carey Services’ board executive committee. You can download a PDF of the complete board list by clicking the button below.Carey Services Board Members
Stephen A. Smithley is chairperson for the board of directors for Carey Services. A life-long resident of Grant County, Steve is vice president of sales force development with Ness Bros. Real Estate and Auction Co., which has offices in Marion, Huntington and Fort Wayne. Steve graduated from Taylor University with a degree in political science/pre-law. He has more than 30 years of experience in banking and financial services, having been an executive vice president and chief lending officer at several financial institutions. Steve has served on numerous boards and advisory bodies in the community.
Board Vice Chairperson
Angela Herrington is vice chairperson for the board of directors for Carey Services. Angela is a life coach, author and digital strategy coach for Christian entrepreneurs and is the founder of Broken Beautiful BOLD women’s ministry. She has a Bachelor’s Degree in biblical studies and is working toward a Master’s Degree in leadership from Wesley Seminary. Angela has participated in several community groups.
Doug Bryant is treasurer for the board of directors for Carey Services. A native of Grant County, Doug is a partner at Rea Logan and Company, LLC, a local certified public accounting firm. He graduated from Ball State University with a Bachelor’s Degree in accounting. Doug works with numerous non-profit agencies throughout the community.
Jim Wallace is secretary for the board of directors for Carey Services. Jim is a vice president in commercial banking with STAR Bank. He graduated from Indiana University with a Bachelor’s Degree in business administration. He is chairman for the Capt. Brandon A. Barrett Hero Fund at the Community Foundation of Grant County and also is involved with Touchdown for Kids, an organization that helps the Peyton Manning Children’s Hospital at St. Vincent’s in Indianapolis.
Immediate Past Board Chairperson
Eric B. Walts is immediate past chairperson for the board of directors for Carey Services. Eric is CEO and owner of Premier Home Health Care and Suite Living Senior Living Community. He is a graduate of Wabash College and has his MBA from Indiana University Kelley School of Business. Eric had served on numerous community boards and is a member of Westminster Presbyterian Church.